A few days ago, I met up with Phyllis and Renee in preparation for our fabulous Fitbloggin’ session on monetizing your blog. I shared with them some of the new “official” policies I set in place for my blog. Basically, I will no longer accept paid sponsorship for posts/guest posts, no advertisement space nor giveaways.
Yup that means I will not join any ad network anytime soon nor give you an “AWESOME” review in the latest diet product. Essentially I am breaking up the “unspoken Big Blogger Cardinal rules” for validation in the name of making money for my “blogging work.”
Want to know why?
- I am lazy! Take that back, seeking paid sponsorships, ensuring that the advertisements posted in my site are align with my values along with following up with product reviews/giveaways well it is not how I want to spend my time.
- Doing what everyone else is doing doesn’t set me apart from the rest. Why would you visit my site as I write the same product review that 10 other bloggers just did? What is unique about that? I got to practice what I preach to my clients. I can embrace my uniqueness and create a different movement.
- I am OCD about the look of the site. I love that is different from other “Lifestyle Bloggers” that is a nice bridge between my self-love/healthy living and my entrepreneurial ventures. The idea of having other brands cluttering my own well that’s just stupid.
- Exception to the review rule: Fitness Class Reviews will continue because there are fun to do and take. It allows me to try something outside of my comfort zone and there are unique enough that it’s not your typical cookie cutter post. I will share when I received a free class or I paid for it. The opinion will continue to be my own honest opinion because that’s why you care about.
- I choose to monetize my own way. Yes there are going to be affiliate links to products that I absolutely love and I have participated as a consumer. I work as a strategy consultant with many coaches and experts therefore some of these products I help curate to their current existence. That means I know that I am providing my readers a quality service.
- Yes I care about my readership enough to know that you are AWESOME. You deserve a break from all of the flashy commercials and list of shoulds. That visiting my site is a refreshing experience into my own incredible madness/smart/sassy/wit.
But wait? Aren’t you part of Fitfluential, SweatPink, SITS, Clever Network, Latina Lifestyle Bloggers Collective, Latina Bloggers networks, list goes on and one. Yup yes I am. Each of these groups provides me connection with “blogging peers.” Perhaps, I will let go a few of the free “ambassador” positions because they are not in alignment with who I am and what I stand for. I will do it at my own time. But it is my choice whether or not I decide to follow the herd.
Let’s make this a fun game, share with me some of your favorite “unspoken cardinal rules” in the blogging world. What do you think it takes to make it big? Go ahead leave a comment below